Travel

Where do I stay during the conference? 
Students will be accommodated at Williamsburg Lodge, a charming hotel in the heart of Colonial Williamsburg and short walk from William and Mary Campus. Please see map and instructions below  for more information. If you are driving to the conference, you may park at the hotel. Do not make your own reservations. They will be made for you by the WM CUWiP organizing committee.

What about travel and lodging expenses?Lodging (for non-local students) and food will be covered by the conference.  Part of this expense will be covered by the $45 conference registration fee.

We expect that your travel expenses will be covered by your home department or college. However, if they are not able to cover these expenses, travel funding is available.  To ask about travel funding, contact cuwip2019@physics.wm.edu

Do I need to book my travel before registering?

No, but you should have an estimate of the cost. If you are traveling by air and your travel cost is not covered by your department, your airfare must be approved by the conference organizers before you book your travel. Due to the limited nature of our travel funds, we ask that you find the most economical means of transportation to and from the conference.

How do I arrange travel?

Students are responsible for arranging their own travel to the conference.  We encourage students to coordinate with other attendees from their institution.  Please be in communication with your local chair or faculty member if your department is reimbursing you for travel costs.  If your department cannot fund your travel, please  communicate with cuwip2019@physics.wm.edu for plane and train ticket approval before purchase.

The College of William and Mary maintains a page that includes directions for getting to Williamsburg by car, rail, or air.

Can I come late? Can I leave early? Can I skip things that I’m not interested in?

Because your travel costs are reimbursable, it is expected that you will attend all of the conference events as scheduled. If you have special circumstances, please contact us to discuss them.

How can I get to and from the airport?

If you will be arriving by air, please contact  cuwip2019@physics.wm.edu and we will make arrangements to get from Newport News, Norfolk or Richmond airports to the WM CUWiP conference location, and back to this airport for your return flight.   If you plan to fly, please contact us before making your reservation.

When will I get reimbursed for travel?

If you are being reimbursed by the conference (rather than by your department): after the conference, you can submit the reimbursement form that will be provided to you. Reimbursement will be mailed to you within the month. For more details please contact us at cuwip2019@physics.wm.edu.